EMR is short for Electronic medical records, which is a digital record system that are used by health care and aesthetic professionals for documentation of patient data. An EMR usually contains general information such as patient contact information, medical history, aesthetic preferences, allergies and treatments. An EMR is designed to keep records organized, with quick access, and ease of use for logging new treatments as well as editing old data.
In short an EMR is the digital version of a paper record in the health care, and now also used in aesthetic clinics.
What are the main features of an EMR system for an aesthetic clinic?
To use an EMR system as an injection clinic or as a beauty professional, there are a few features that are essential for efficient and safe record keeping. Here are the main features that system should have.
- Access to patient information such as contact information, allergies, treatments & aesthetic preferences
- Secure data storage on a cloud or physical server
- Following GDPR standards for patient data and privacy
- Access restrictions for users, limiting visibility of patient records
- A smooth patient registration process, to be transparent about which patient data is stored
Types of Electronic Medical Systems
There are two general types of EMR systems that are used widely today. Depending on the clinic need, you can have a simple cloud based system, or more complex systems locally that includes cash register, scheduling and bookings.
- Most popular and widespread system
- Simple and usually require very little IT knowledge to implement
- Accessible from all devices and therefore also from any location
- Less costly since this is centrally managed and based on a web platform or an application
- More powerful and based on a dedicated server for the clinic
- Usually have more tools including scheduling and booking system
- Requires installations and integrations with other systems in the clinic
- Costly and requires more support as this is locally managed
A Cloud-based EMR is the preferred system for smaller injection and aesthetic clinics, that only need a simple system to store patient records. Prices can be as low as 4-5€ per month or $6-7 USD which makes it a very attractive investment for storing patient data securely and organised.
Benefits of an EMR system in the beauty & aesthetic industry
There are both practical, financial and security benefits of moving records to a secure online system. Saving time in record keeping will give focus on the patients and treatments, and less in administration. By having organized records there is an opportunity to foresee client needs and reach out to book new treatments, providing additional sales.
With today’s demand for safe data handling, an EMR system in the beauty and aesthetic industry should be a must for any patient record keeping.